by Amy Carlson
Students’ lives at college are full of books, papers, late night snacks and headaches. The last thing needed is stressful shopping.
Sometimes it is helpful for students to put down their books, pick up a laptop and shop. The Internet is full of websites each saying they are the best and they have the best prices. So which ones really do have great prices and which ones have a lot of hype behind their name with less-than-desirable items?Here are the Top 10 places to shop online:
1. Piperlime.com – This website is successful at mixing both designer and low-budget items. There is even a section titled Girl on a budget with in style pieces at reasonable prices. Piperlime does a fantastic job a emphasizing trends. On the home page there are headlines showing pieces relating to certain trends. Another section is Rachel’s Picks. Celebrity Stylist Rachel Zoe chooses her favorite pieces on Piperlime that are always must-haves.
2. Moxsie.com – Moxsie is an independent fashion website. It was rated in the Internet Retailer’s Hot 100.This site promotes individual fashion at an affordable price. The home page has featured items and profiles on independent designers. The clothes are stylish and extremely affordable on Moxsie.
3. Modcloth.com – Modcloth has unique, fun pieces that will spice up any wardrobe. Their prices are affordable and the items are versatile and will work for just about everyone. This website has a great section called Be the Buyer where you can vote on your favorite pieces to let them know what your style is and what popular pieces are. It has a big sale selection, with a lot of pieces at even lower prices than the rest of the merchandise.
4. MakeMeChic.com – This website is ideal for shopping on a budget. There are a lot of affordable pieces from $12 flats to $6 scarves. The Facebook page has daily sales and trends. If you sign up for the mailing list, there is an insider’s look at new items and receive coupons and special promotion sales. The only drawback is the return policy is a 30 day return with shipping at the customer’s cost.
5. Theoutnet.com – This website gives ideas for new looks as well as shopping in all price ranges. If you click on the Dress Me tab, the website lets you choose from a variety of scenarios and events you might be attending, and ways to dress for them. It is a way to see new trends, and what looks work for which events. The shopping on this website is easy to use because they show you both designer and more affordable pieces, side by side. Shoppers can also choose to shop by designer. If you sign up to join the site you can get in on their great Flash Sales. Theoutnet is easy to navigate and great for shopping.
6. Polyvore.com – This site is broken up into 4 sections: Shop, Ask, Explore and Create. When buying pieces through Polyvore, items are purchased through different websites, getting the best deal they can find. Since a lot of Polyvore’s merchandise is designer, it can be a bit pricey, so always start with the sale section. The Ask section allows shoppers to ask for fashion advice from their fellow shoppers and suggest pieces that would work with their wardrobe. In Explore, peruse different layouts for different outfits and trends. With Create, shoppers can make their own trends and outfits in a magazine layout.
7. Zappos.com – Zappos has a variety of price ranges. Some of their pieces are affordable, while others are designer and cost more. Zappos began as a site only selling shoes, but in 2000 the company decided to sell clothes and accessories. This site has a big selection and a 365 day return policy. Zappos is a good place to shop for specific pieces.
8. BlueFly.com – BlueFly has a lot of designer pieces at discounted designer prices. While some pieces may be 40-50 percent off, they are still out of this shopper’s price range. Some of the sale items are closer to what many are willing to spend. It is a place to find gorgeous pieces and dream about them.
9. RevolveClothing.com – Revolve has a reputation for being chic and fashion forward. There are a lot of designer pieces, so a lot of the clothes are more expensive. Shopping their sale section is the safest bet. Revolve also has a Magazine section allowing customers to browse through trends, editorials and designer profiles. Revolve’s sister sites, forward-forward and reverse-reverse are other discount designer sites, but reverse-reverse is members only.
10. Net-a-porter.com – This site is perfect for both shopping and finding new trends. Net-a-porter even has an online magazine you can look through for new ideas. While the clothes and accessories here are great, they are expensive since most of their pieces are designer.
Another fun shopping site is endless.com, selling shoes and accessories at killer prices.