The Student News Site of Whitworth University

The Whitworthian

The Whitworthian

The Whitworthian

Changes to ASWU Constitution approved by student body 

The ASWU sentaors laugh at a joke made by Chris Clay at an ASWU meeting | Hannah Loesch/the Whitworthian

On Friday Feb. 25, the Associated Students of Whitworth University (ASWU) Constitution for next year was approved by the student body, after work by the executive team and approval by the full assembly.  According to current ASWU president Rachel Ayres, the Constitution can be changed whenever necessary, but it specifically happened this year for staffing reasons. 

The changes include merging ASWU’s Communications Director and PR/Marketing Coordinator into one role, bringing Stewart and the Village under the jurisdiction of one senator instead of two, and shifting the Neighborhoods senator to a representative position. All of these changes, according to members of the executive team, allow for the ASWU budget to save thousands of dollars on operating costs ahead of anticipated increased club requisitions in the upcoming academic term with campus clubs getting back into full swing as the pandemic wanes.

This process began back in November, as the executive team started to consider whether or not the Constitution should be amended for next year, and if so, what changes should be made.  ASWU members offered their feedback at small meetings in addition to discussion during a couple full-assembly meetings. On Wednesday, Feb. 9, proposed changes were presented during ASWU assembly, and a week later, on Feb. 16, the assembly voted to approve the proposed changes, setting into motion a full student body vote process which unfolded over the following weeks. 

For the first time, this year’s Constitution votes came in three parts on which students could individually vote, a change borne out of constructive feedback from last year’s Constitution revamp. 

“One thing ASWU got feedback on was disappointment that it was yes or no to all the changes and not being able to vote on specific items,” Ayres said. “This year . . . our vote was a lot simpler, so we decided to make it three separate things to vote on.” 

The first line item, merging the roles of Communications Director and PR/Marketing Coordinator into one executive position, garnered 91 percent approval.  Speaking to its reasoning, Ayres said, “Those roles have a lot of overlap. The PR/marketing coordinator is not an executive, but should be in the room with executive changes and the executive team.”  The combined position will retain the name Communications Director. The new proposed hourly compensation for the position will be confirmed when the budget committee meets later this spring. 

The second change, which brings Stewart and the Village under the jurisdiction of one senator instead of two, passed with 76 percent of the vote.  According to Ayres, this change seeks to better represent a smaller population.  “The Village is a smaller community.  By changing the Village rep to be underneath the Stewart senator role, that person can maintain representation in those communities and have enough hours to do so,” Ayres said.   

Current Stewart senator Rebecca Kay believes the change is a good idea.   

“Because both constituencies are so small and close together . . . [with this change], you can plan more events for more people and make it a closer community,” Kay said. 

“Together they make more of a safe space and bring more people together to connect,” she continued. 

The final Constitution change, receiving 67 percent of the vote, shifts the Neighborhoods senator to a representative position, a change which will decrease the number of hours the position holder works.  As of this year, representatives are paid for three hours per week, while senators are paid for eight.  Ayres said the change is both better for the Neighborhoods and next year’s ASWU budget. 

“The Neighborhoods is not a community that’s super well centered . . . and it’s detached in different ways.  Representative hours fit that role better, and this would save us budget on hours,” Ayres said. 

These three changes to the Constitution will go into effect during the next academic year.  Until then, Ayres is available and willing to interpret the documents, or answer any questions about the Constitutional changes or ASWU’s governance in general.   

To get in contact with Ayres or set up a time to meet, email [email protected]