The Student News Site of Whitworth University

The Whitworthian

The Whitworthian

The Whitworthian

Letter to the Editor: Christian Moral Duty in Hiring Practices

Disclaimer: Letter to the Editor does not represent the viewpoints of The Whitworthian, members of the editorial board or Whitworth University.  

“Whitworth University’s mission statement is ‘to provide its diverse student body an education of the mind and the heart, equipping its graduates to honor God, follow Christ and serve humanity.’ This, I would argue, is distinctly a Christian mission. If we wish to be associated with God, we must be prepared to pay a price for following him. Jesus said that the world will hate the disciples for what they stand for (Luke 14: 25-34, John 15:18-25) and that his teachings would bring division (Matt. 10:34-36). We should expect pushback from living lives that honor God.

Considering this, we cannot ignore the Bible’s teachings concerning homosexuality. God sees these lifestyles as sins. God clearly abhors sexual immorality in any form, when we look at the Bible! Premarital sex, homosexuality and bestiality are all forbidden by God (Hebrews 13:4, Leviticus 18, Rom. 1:18-32). Today, forms outside heterosexuality are against God’s designed plan for humanity and marriage (Gen. 1:27, 2:24).

Now why does this matter in terms of a professorship at Whitworth? As a distinctly Christian University, we cannot, in good conscience, hire individuals who, by their lifestyles, condone sinful practices. We cannot confuse the message of the gospel in such a way! Jesus calls us out of our sins to live a better life with Him, not to lounge in our sins and live as we please. How can we rightfully “serve humanity” if we potentially lead our student body astray and into sinful lifestyles through who we hire?

If Whitworth wishes to hire individuals who identify under the LGBTQ+ label, I won’t be the only one disappointed—God will be. God makes the rules of what’s right and wrong. He has been clear on his stance toward the LGBTQ+ agenda. Whitworth must take a stand as well.”

Sincerely, Jonathan Gray

View Comments (3)
Donate to The Whitworthian

Your donation will support the student journalists of Whitworth University. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.