The Student News Site of Whitworth University

The Whitworthian

The Whitworthian

The Whitworthian

Whitworth alumna Stephanie Courtney: Working to improve black maternal health outcomes 

Whitworth University alumna Stephanie Courtney, founder of the Shades of Motherhood Network, hosted the Black Maternal Health Outcomes lecture on March 12 to educate Whitworth students on the mission of this Spokane-based organization. Courtney and her organization seek to provide black mothers with greater maternal support through doula care, community involvement and knowledge.  

Courtney opened the talk on black maternal health outcomes by sharing her personal experience with infertility and loss. “For me, dealing with infertility and not asking for any support caused me a lot of mental anguish and made me isolate myself,” said Courtney. “Support is the new superpower. Asking for help [and] connection — these are the things we’ve never been taught, and that is why I dealt with infertility for so long.”  

Throughout the talk, Courtney emphasized the importance of providing mothers, especially mothers of color, with maternal support through doula care. “We have got to think outside the box and start thinking about how community-based care is the solution to us crushing the crisis around maternal health,” said Courtney.

Some students were unaware of the role of a doula prior to the talk. “It was really interesting to hear about this role and how [doulas] support mothers through the process of becoming pregnant, ” said Joseph Webster, a Whitworth sophomore.

“All doulas offer support in some area of maternal health, from abortion to postpartum care,” said Courtney. Doulas bridge a gap in maternal healthcare due to the limitations of standard hospital care. “We can’t get doctors and nurses to spend all day and night with a person, but a doula can,” said Courtney.