The Student News Site of Whitworth University

The Whitworthian

The Whitworthian

The Whitworthian

Earth Week at Whitworth

The Grand Tetons, Wed. Aug, 30 2023 | Ben Gallaway/ The Whitworthian

Ruby Brady

Sunset along the Madison River in West Yellowstone. Wed., Aug. 30, 2024 | Ben Gallaway/ The Whitworthian

It is that time again. Earth Week’s events will be spanning from April 20, 2024, to April 26, 2024. This was brought to the Whitworth community by the Environmental Action Coalition (EAC) and The Associated Students of Whitworth University (ASWU)’s sustainability coordinator Talea Blasko.

On April 20, a Madison River clean up took place with Spokane Riverkeeper from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Carpools to High Bridge Park, Spokane, WA 99224 were provided, leaving campus at 9:30 a.m. One group of students used chalk to promote positive Earth Week messages in The Loop from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.

On April 22, students went on an educational nature walk. “[We learned] some fun facts from Dr. Cope and Dr. Cassidy,” said Blasko.

There was a clothing drop-off event in the Hixson Union Building (HUB) from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., picking back up from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Students “[painted and sipped] mocktails in Weyerhaeuser 111 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.,” said Blasko. “We [played] The Lorax and [had] popcorn. [We wanted] everybody to come to that. It [was] really fun.”

On April 24 there was a menstrual product giveaway in The Loop from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. “ [On] Thursday [we had] a clothing drive from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. We [had] clean donated clothes and people [were] invited to come and look at them [and] pick stuff out if they [wanted]. They [were] super low-priced,” said Blasko.

For Arbor Day, April 26, Sam Sweeney, the arborist for Whitworth, planted a tree and gave out free trees in The Loop from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

In the past, Earth Week had a plant giveaway, but due to budgetary restrictions, this event was not offered. “We had to get a little crafty with the money and […] change a few things that were pretty popular last year,” said Blasko.