The Student News Site of Whitworth University

The Whitworthian

The Whitworthian

The Whitworthian

In the Chambers Sept. 19

by Molly Beth Hough
ASWU President

It has been an incredible start to the year! We have made it through our first full week of classes and ASWU has been working away. We have been able to experience Mat Kearney, Yell off, Bingo, Mock Rock, and much more. Our sports teams have had an amazing start to the year as well. Let’s go Bucs! Our sports events coordinator, Jonny Whitmore, has big things planned for the year. For instance, on Sept. 22 we have our first home football game and there will be several prize giveaways and the locations of prizes will be announced via twitter. Follow @gobucs to learn more!

This past week Pam Oswalt and Emily Soucinek came to present on Green Dot. Green Dot is a bystander initiative that encourages people to reduce violent situations. A red dot is an individual choice to not act in a dangerous situation. For example, when someone puts a drug in someone’s drink you could step up and inform that person what occurred. It is the idea that no one person should have to do everything, but that everyone should do something. In so doing, you are creating green dots and ultimately creating a safer community for everyone. Training for the green dot initiative will be announced at a later date.

This Friday, Noah Gundersen will be performing in Pirate’s Cove. Caleb Kruse has been working hard to make sure this happens, so thank him when you see him around campus. This Saturday, the Not For Sale Academy World Tour is coming and we are so excited for them to be here! Latina Confessions will be held on Thursday and this is an event you do not want to miss. Make sure to check out Pirate Port for all of the events coming up this week.

Community Building Day will be held on Tuesday and is an incredible opportunity for us, as Whitworth University, to go beyond our four walls and serve the community. I am eager to hear all about all that will be done.

Did you know that you can come to ASWU meetings and get a free meal as well? All you have to do is email Tim Gjefle and let him know that you would like to come that week. Then, you get free food and the opportunity to hear about what is going on inside ASWU and the University. We would love to have you in the chambers with us Wednesdays at 5 p.m. I will see you there!

Enjoy the sunshine and remember to live bold and be fierce,

Contact Molly Hough at [email protected]