The Student News Site of Whitworth University

The Whitworthian

The Whitworthian

The Whitworthian

Financial Vice Presidential Candidate: Herman Valdez

Major: Accounting

Year: Sophomore

Editorial Board: What is your class load like for next year and what will your other responsibilities be?

Herman Valdez: Looking at around 15 credits. No other extra curriculars planned.

EB: Why are you running for this ASWU position?

HV:  I really love accounting. I’ve seen glimpses of ASWU but I haven’t really had a chance to get super involved. I think it’s a great opportunity to get involved behind the scenes and be a part of it.

EB: What three things do you want to have accomplished by the end of the semester if you are elected?

HV: 1. The current FVP mentioned how it’s a little unorganized with clubs so I’ll try and get things straightened out and a little more streamlined. How clubs request money is a little confusing for them. Maybe if there’s a way to make that easier for them and if they don’t have training, train them on how to do that.

2. Making it a hired position instead of elected. I think that hired would make it easier for the person and given the nature of the position it would be more appropriate.

3. I would love if the FVP and the student body was made aware of the funding and given the option to help decide where those funds went.

EB: What is the relationship between ASWU and the Whitworthian?

HV: My understanding is the Whitworthian kind of stands on its own and you guys can generally publish what you want. I imagine you guys are kind of like the mouth of ASWU and you guys can share what’s happening.

EB: What are your weaknesses in terms of the position you’re running for?

HV: Possibly my biggest weakness would be that I know the three executives hold the large group meetings, and I tend to be a people pleaser at times. So trying to build a relationship where you can say no to one person and say yes to another might be difficult.

EB: Why should we vote for you rather than your opponent?

HV: I’m very passionate about this position and I’m very passionate about accounting. I’ve had other financial roles with other classes. I love building relationships so I would want to build relationships with everyone I work with. I would try and make that a priority. I’m running as a write-in because I was contemplating having an internship and a busier schedule but somethings didn’t work out. With added support and confidence I decided this is what I want.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Whitworthian

Your donation will support the student journalists of Whitworth University. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.